You have probably heard about Rhassoul clay and its amazing benefits to both hair and skin. I will however still introduce you to it none the less. In case this is your first time to hear/read about this clay.
What is Rhassoul Clay
Rhassoul clay is a reddish brown clay mined in Morocco. It is hyped as a beauty clay because of its high content of Silica (58%). Silica as I found out helps strengthen hair and gives it shine while increasing the scalp’s moisture and resilience. Rhassoul clay also has magnesium, iron, sodium, potassium, lithium and other trace minerals beneficial to our skin, hair and general health.
Rhassoul Clay benefits on hair.
- because of its ability to swell up when water is added and the fact that it is negatively charged (anion) while most impurities are positively charged, Rhassoul clay draws impurities from the hair and skin thereby cleansing it and unblocking the scalp pores for healthier hair.
- It strengthens hair and gives it volume and shine
- Rhassoul clay clarifies the hair while nourishing it with its minerals
- smoothies the hair cuticle thereby helping to retain moisture and reduce breakage
- Helps relieve symptoms of eczema and psoriasis.
- As a facial mask, it helps with acne by drawing impurities from the skin and unblocking pores.
How to use Rhassoul clay
Rhassoul clay hair conditioner recipe.
You will need…
- a glass or plastic bowl
- a mixing spoon, wooden or plastic
- 2 tbs Rhassoul clay pieces, (more or less depending on how much you need)
- water/black or green tea (have about 200ml ready)
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs Apple cider vinegar
- essential oils (optional)
- 1 tbs Olive oil or coconut oil (optional)
- 1 tbs Aloe Vera juice (optional)
Place the Rhassoul clay pieces or powder in the bowl and pour in the water/tea. let sit for about 2 minutes to soften the clay and then mix with a spoon. You can then add the oils and the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add more water/tea depending on how runny you want the mixture to be. A runnier mixture is easier to apply though from my experience because Rhassoul clay dries up much quicker than most clays.
How to apply Rhassoul clay conditioner to hair
Apply Rhassoul clay mixture to dry or damp hair from root to tip. Cover with a plastic cap and leave on your hair for about 30 minutes before rinsing it out with warm water. If necessary, though it is often not since Rhassoul clay helps with detangling and will condition your hair well, you can apply a rinse out conditioner to your hair. Otherwise, you can follow the Rhassoul clay wash with a leave in conditioner then style your hair as desired.
How to use Rhassoul clay as a facial mask
You can use left over paste from after applying on your hair or you can make a daily paste.
For a daily paste, …
Place enough clay in the palm of your hand and add water. You can also add a few drops of essential oils. Work into a paste and apply to your face. Before the clay completely dries up, wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturising cream.
How to store Rhassoul clay
You do not have to refrigerate Rhassoul clay in its dry solid or powder form. Just put it in a cool dry place and you can use it no matter after how long. If by any chance you have mixed more than you need for the day, store left over clay mixture in a sealed container in the fridge and use withing a week. However, if you are not sure when you will be able to use it again or it’s more than a week, you can store the mixture in an open container in the open so that the water can evaporate and you will be left with dry, solid Rhassoul clay pieces like you had at first. You can use these any day now and they will not expire
Rhassoul clay side effects
Although not adverse, Rhassoul clay, if not used properly may present some side effects which are…
- Rhassoul clay has a higher pH than the natural pH of hair. This can be an advantage if you want to raise the hair cuticle in order for product to penetrate your hair core in case of low porosity hair. I find that adding Apple cider vinegar brings the pH down a bit and leaves hair smoother than without Apple cider vinegar.
- Not good for chemically dyed hair because the chemicals in the hair dye tends to react with the minerals in Rhassoul clay thereby tarnishing your color. This might not be what you want.
- Rhassoul clay dries up very quickly and if left to dry on the hair, this may cause breakage. Make sure the paste is very runny and add more water to the hair so that it does not dry up while conditioning the hair. You can also cover with a plastic cap so that it does not dry out.
Rhassoul clay Shelf life
Rhassoul clay never expires as long as it is dry, even after being mixed with water several times.
Have you used you used Rhassoul Clay before? What are your thoughts?
Have a blessed day
P.S I will posting some of the photos from the meet up tomorrow. I know you can’t wait to see them, I already got messages and emails inquiring when I will post them. Be sure to check my next post. 0x0