Home Hair Will Biotin Grow My Hair?

Will Biotin Grow My Hair?

by Evenes Ruth Mafupa

The jury is still out on this one and my answer will always be, “There are many factors involved in growing healthy hair and retaining the length and these differ from person to person” Could Biotin be what you need to boost your hair growth? Let’s find out.

But what is Biotin?

Biotin is a water soluble B vitamin and is also known as Vitamin H and is responsible for several metabolic reactions in the body. It helps in the breaking down of fats and carbohydrates for use as energy, breaking down of proteins to urea and helps in the conversion of amino acids from protein into blood sugar for energy. Biotin is available to our bodies from the food we eat and most of us get enough to keep us healthy. Biotin is found in foods like milk, egg yolk, nuts, yeast, dried peas and mushrooms, cheddar cheese, cauliflower, fish and avocado. If not getting enough of these foods in your diet, there are Biotin supplements on the market as well.

How does Biotin help grow hair?

Biotin is vital to cell proliferation (growth and multiplication), which is why it is a valuable tool in hair growth. When ingested, biotin reacts with cell enzymes and plays a vital part in producing amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. Hair itself consists of keratin, which is a form of protein. Therefore, consuming foods that contain biotin helps with healthier follicles that will sprout healthier, stronger hair that is less prone to breakage, helping you to realise more growth through length retention. So does Biotin make your hair grow faster than normal? I am afraid there is no documented evidence of such. However, as mentioned before, healthier follicles will produce healthier, fuller hair that is much stronger. Attaining length should not be a big problem when you have all that.

Do I have Biotin Deficiency?

flacking scalp due to seborrhoeic dermatitis

flacking scalp – seborrhoeic dermatitis

alopecia and seborrhoeic dermatitis

alopecia and seborrhoeic dermatitis

Biotin deficiency, though rare is possible and normally affects babies who do not have enough gut bacteria to produce enough biotin from food. It may also affect adults due to long term use of anti-seizure medication, prolonged use of antibiotics, intestinal malabsorption or eating raw egg whites on a regular basis. One of the most common symptoms is Dermatitis, in particular seborrhoeic dermatitis which causes flacking and excessive itching on the scalp and may lead to balding. The symptoms may also include thinning hair and brittle nails. In such cases, supplementing with Biotin may be necessary. Always consult your doctor before starting any supplements though.

I want to use Biotin supplements to grow my hair. What is the correct dosage? Any side effects?

165182558

This is one question I get quite often. I do not have a problem whatsoever with supplements in general and think if you feel you should give your hair a boost by using hair supplements, well, why not. I however think you should research a little bit more so that you do not do something you will regret the rest of your life. Some supplements can mess up your system and may take a whole life time to rectify. I am not just saying this to scare you. It’s better to be cautious than sorry. That being said, Biotin has been used by many to grow their hair. Has worked for some and others have seen no improvement at all. So if you must, by all means go for it. However, do it with an open mind and be realistic with your expectations. As far as dosage is concerned, most say starting with a lower dosage, say 500 micrograms and then increasing gradually is the best to avoid break outs on your face. High dosages of Biotin are said to be safe but caution must be taken as an extremely high dosage may put strain on your liver. Some take a dosage as high as 5000 micrograms a day with no side effect. Taking higher dosages of Biotin do not necessarily result in more results though. The body simply takes what it needs and discards the rest in urine. That’s literal “money down the drain” for you. Biotin needs to be taken consistently for 3 to 6 months for you to notice any results. The most common side effects of Biotin supplements is acne. However, most people say when taking Biotin one needs to also increase water intake to more than 8 glasses of water a day to prevent acne from waging a war on your face. Biotin is non-toxic even at high levels. However, this does’t rule out the possibility of interaction with other supplements and medications, so always talk to your doctor before starting a high dose of biotin for hair growth

So, will Biotin grow my hair?

Whether you are going to get all your Biotin from the food you eat or go the supplements way, our hair gains a lot from sufficient levels of Biotin in our bodies. Be realistic with your situation and expectations. Biotin will definitely give you healthier hair but it will not re-grow a full head of hair that has been bald for years. There is also need to take a comprehensive approach in growing healthy hair. Biotin alone will not do the trick. Other aspects of your diet, exercise and good hair practices are all contributors to healthy hair.

I am interested to hear from you. Are you using Biotin supplements to grow your hair? What has been your experience so far? Did you find this informative? Please do share the page with friends and family, subscribe to our newsletter and like us on Facebook.

All the best to you and yours.

You may also like

31 comments

Evangeline 20 July 2015 - 20:35

Hi Ruth
Im staying in Joburg and ive been to every pharmacy in and around Joburg looking for BIOTIN atleast 5000mcg or close to that and no one seems to either of heard of the produc or the dosage I tried Klicks they only have hair vitamins with biotin as little as 150mcg. Im so frustrated where can I find plain Biotin in Johannesburg? Please help…- –

wesley 10 May 2017 - 20:29

fresh earth in greenside sells biolife biotin 5000mcg exactly as well as an online shop called faithful-to nature-check them out

Ruth Mafupa 21 July 2015 - 07:48

At Dischem, you can get the vitaforce brand which has 300 Mcg (micrograms) and it is recommended to take one tablet a day which I think is enough for general health. I would be wary of increasing the dose as this may not be healthy in the long run

AJ 4 August 2015 - 06:39

I Use the Biolife Biotin . It has 5000mcg and only R102.00 . Go to thefaithful to nature website

sarah. 2 September 2015 - 08:36

Where can I get the silk advanced biotin complex

Ruth Mafupa 3 September 2015 - 08:54

I have no idea. If you do find it, please tell us about it.

zee 15 October 2015 - 15:02

You can buy the solar brand they have the 5000mcg dosage

ismail Mohammad 4 February 2016 - 15:43

Can you tell me very seriously where can I pound this Biotin please please

Ruth Mafupa 5 February 2016 - 06:32

You can try Dischem and clicks

Ruth Mafupa 5 February 2016 - 06:32

You can try Dischem and clicks

Angel Hlungwani 16 March 2016 - 18:40

You can find it 5000mcg at MediCare Pharmacy by Bayers Naudè opposite Chevrolet. Not far from Cresta Mall. I bought one there last week.

chelsea 13 June 2016 - 09:57

I use GNC biotin 300mcg, you can find this at clicks, I have been taking two a day and have been seeing positive results in my nail and hair growth.

Jordy 5 September 2016 - 13:33

Hi I use vitaforce biotin for my nails and hair

Selina 14 September 2016 - 21:59

Message *

Lee 4 September 2017 - 17:50

Hi Chelsea,
I’d like to know after how long did you start seeing the results?

Elizabeth 15 March 2017 - 08:44

this was very informative , thank you for the article…. I have now better understanding of what Biotin will do for my hair and nails.

Zaar 1 May 2017 - 19:12

How many capsules should you take a day? And when is the best time to take it during the day?

Ruth Mafupa 2 May 2017 - 09:18

The number of capsules you take per day will depend on the the brand and instruction on the bottle. Most people take upto 5000 mcg. When I took them, I used to take 300mcg. The best is to talk to your doctor before taking any supplements though. And, the best time to take biotin is in the morning, with food I think. It kind of gives me a bit more energy and taking it at night normally gives me trouble with sleep.

Esme 19 January 2018 - 13:23

Is it working to grow hair

Evenes Ruth Mafupa 29 January 2018 - 15:16

Some people use it to grow hair while on others, it does not seem to have much benefit. I think if you have a shortage of B vitamins in your body, then it may help but if that is not the reason your hair is not doing well, it may be not your solution. So, if you can, visit your doctor or dietitian first before committing to supplements.

Shireen Adams 14 May 2018 - 19:33

Hi started using glamlust gummies for hair and nails. It did wonders. Only used the product for 3 months but there was a difference in my hair growth. My hair has grown from neck lenght to pass shoulder lenght. Unfortunately the product has been discontinued so i found biolife nutrion biotin. Using it now and cant wait for the results

Sheriska Madisha 7 November 2018 - 07:16

does anyone know of liquid biotin or biotin drops and where i can get them in South Africa. if you do please holla on 0799609768

Funeka 28 May 2019 - 10:54

Hi guyz i’m in cpt i need biotin for my hair plz where can i buy it around cpt

Evenes Ruth Mafupa 12 June 2019 - 07:09

You can get Biotin at Dischem or clicks.

Lauren 6 July 2019 - 14:19

Hi ladies, which biotin product from clicks or dischem works best? This will definitely be my 1st attempt trying this. Thanks in advance

kgomotsego 11 March 2020 - 19:29

does GNC Biotin 300 MCG dietary supplement grow hair?

Evenes Ruth Mafupa 19 March 2020 - 18:08

It does help to grow hair if the reason your hair is not growing nicely is the shortage of biotin in your diet.

Sjay 31 May 2020 - 22:36

I have been using biotin Gnc 300mcg and i have seen tremendous hair growth, i have been using other brands as well but i still love the Gnc biotin brand, my hair was always brittle, dry and could never curl and never grew past shoulder length.. when i started using biotin gnc 300mcg i saw a diiference but used biotin along with different oil treatments for my hair as well.. and since then my hair has grown longer curlier and looks healthier…

Evenes Ruth Mafupa 17 June 2020 - 14:44

Wow, that’s great.

xoli 19 May 2021 - 08:53

Hi Ruth
I had a scalp problem so I went to doctor and she gave me products. I have been using them then hair came up but it not growing. I was thinking to stop using it. Do you think biotin can help me?

Evenes Ruth Mafupa 26 May 2021 - 17:09

Hello. If hair came out, then it’s a matter of time before it starts growing longer. Otherwise, Biotin will help you if the reason your hair length is not improving because your diet does not have enough Biotin. Besides Biotin, you can also take Vitamin C supplements which will also help your immune system while giving the healthiest of hair. I have a product that is specifically for hair growth as well. It’s called Hair Grow Scalp Balm. You can find it here. https://natmoisture.co.za/product/hair-grow-scalp-balm/

Comments are closed.