It’s always expected right? I have had dry skin all my life, more so in winter. My skin becomes so dry and chapped, it starts flaking. That’s right. Flaking. What to do? You may ask. Well I refused a long time ago to get used to it. I gave my life to finding out what could help my skin get some relief. I asked around, googled and even asked beauticians who stand at some very prominent shops to answer all questions on skin. You know, those that gave you a make-up makeover before covid struck and we were banished to the wearing of masks. And to my shock, surprise and may I say absolute delight, every product they recommended had some Shea butter in it. The same Shea butter that I had lots of. That was the anchor ingredient.
Of course I took that as law and no need to say, in all products I got for my skin, I would check if Shea butter was one of the ingredients. True story. And I still do. Somehow, for me, other butters are not as potent as Shea butter on my skin. Anything with Shea butter became my holy grail and is still to this day.
But in winter, I always need the real McCoy. The actual Shea butter on my skin. And to date, that is what does the most. It may have a few added ingredients but Shea butter is not only the anchor ingredient but the main ingredient. I am talking of more than 50% of the product is Shea Butter.
Here is the best way to mix Shea butter for the skin.
N.B: All measurements are in grams and I gave you measurements for 0.5kg (500g) and also 1kg incase you want to make for the whole family.
- You will need a bowl to do the mixing in.
- Melt the Shea butter slightly in a microwave or double boiler until it is soft and mushy
- Add the grapeseed oil, coconut oil and olive oil bit by bit while mixing with a fork.
- Whip the mixture until it is lighter in colour but still sticky. Do not over whip though.
- Add the vitamin E and the Lavender and whip slightly until it is mixed well.
- Pack into sanitised dry jars. Caution, if the jars still have water, your whipped Shea butter will mould. So, make sure the jars are clean, sanitised and dry. That will keep the integrity of your whipped butter safe.
You can use the whipped Shea butter for 12 months. However, store it in a cool dry place, away from direct sunlight. And, you may need 4 x 250ml jars to pack your whipped Shea butter. It kind of doubles in size once whipped.
I get asked this question a lot. You can buy Unrefined Shea butter from Natural Moisture.
How do you whip your Shea butter to use on skin? Please share.
I told you my skin products have loads of Shea butter in them. In the video, I am showing you my skin routine when it’s not so cold. You will notice I have summer clothes on.