The 8th of January 2013 marked my two years post relaxer so I decided to flat iron my hair to celebrate. I was so excited and I had already planned on flat ironing my hair since November which is like two months before the date. When the day came, I was not feeling so well but I was too excited not to do it then so bit by bit I managed to flat iron my hair. It was quite a process let me tell. This is what I did.
- Did an oil treatment and baggy method overnight using coconut oil
- Shampooed my hair with Tresemme Naturals (they say it has lower sulphates on the bottle)
- Applied Tresemme Protect conditioner with B12 and keratin and left it on my hair for an hour
- Rinsed out the conditioner and sprayed some Kair leave-in conditioner which is said to be ph balanced and has silicon on the bottle
- Sprayed Tresemme thermal protect to protect my hair against the heat
- I blow dried my hair in sections using the tension method (see blow dry photos)
- Flat ironed my hair in sections as well starting from the back using the comb chase method
Besides the process being long and tiresome, I loved how my hair felt and looked after using the flat iron. However, I am struggling with styling it. After going for almost two years without straightening my hair, I did not even know where to start from and most styles I found on Youtube were on much longer hair. I want to keep it straight for about two weeks but I already miss my kinks and twists so will see how it goes. I am not planning on straightening my hair using any form of heat again this year because I do not want to end up with heat damage and heat is not good for our hair.
And these are the results. (Please forgive the tired eyes, I had a massive flu going on. The pictures were not edited in any form please bear with me.)