Over time, hair strands are roughed up and the outer layer which is made of cuticle, like tiny scales, that lie flat and hold moisture in the shaft’s cortex open up and the strands cannot hold much moisture anymore. The result is dull, flat and brittle hair with a lot of split ends sometimes. Deep conditioning fills in the gaps of rough cuticles, restoring your hair’s shine, lustre, body and most of all its moisture retaining capacity and making it less prone to split ends and breakage. Deep conditioning is important to our hair type to retain moisture because it’s prone to dryness. Our hair and scalp skin are made of a protein called keratin that is why a protein deep condition is important once in a while.
I deep condition once every month with products I get from my kitchen and mix together to make a deep conditioning cream which my hair loves. Below is what I use.
- 3 tables spoons of full cream mayonnaise (rich in cholesterol and oils)
- 2 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil EVOO (rich in biotin, niacin, vitamins A and E and antioxidants)
- 2 egg yolks. (packed with proteins that nourish your scalp and hair roots, similar to your natural keratin)
And this is what I do.
- Mix all the ingredients until the mixture is creamy and consistent
- Damp my hair slightly with water
- Section my hair into four sections and apply the mixture to each section
- Braid each section after applying the conditioner
- Place a plastic shopping bag on my hair (could use a shower cap but I prefer something I can throw away afterwards)
- I leave the mixture on my hair for about 30 minutes to an hour or even longer
- I rinse it out thoroughly section by section, undoing the braid and applying conditioner to each section and braiding it up again
- I then stay with the conditioner for about 5 minutes and rinse it out thoroughly as well
- The rest is my normal routine for washing my hair
I have been doing this for the past two years and it sure works wonders for my hair. I have also recommended it to a lot of friends (natural and relaxed) who tried it and got the same fabulous results. This treatment is actually recommended for damaged hair. So I hope it helps some of my sisters with damaged hair or very thin hair to increase the body of your hair or even just increasing moisture like me.
Till next time, keep keeping on.